Must Have High Altitude Baking Equipment
Whether you’ve just started baking or have decided to make sure your kitchen is up to date, this list will help you with the basics required to bake in your high altitude kitchen!
- Parchment paper
- Digital scale
- Instant read, digital thermometer
- Heavy weight, light colored baking pans
- Sifter- preferably what is called a “tamis” or a fine mesh strainer
- Oven thermometer- To calibrate oven temperature
- Stand mixer- According to Alton Brown, hand mixers are not good for creaming because they aren’t as efficient as stand mixers. Because they aren’t as efficient, they require more time and more time creates more heat which creates melted fats. The thin beaters also do not rub the sugar into the fat like the flat beater of a stand mixer does, so the texture will not be as fine.
- Sharp chef’s knife
- Paring knife
- Heavy rolling pin
- Bowl scraper
- Cardboard cake circles
- Food processor
- Propane torch